Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Smoooooothies



As a mom I feel like I'm always trying to get my kids to eat their fruits and vegetables, but I don't hold myself to the same standard.  For example, today at lunch Ava wanted a treat after she finished her "good bites" as we call them.  She had just eaten chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast and I knew that she'd hit me up for a treat after dinner so I just had to put my foot down and say no, this would not be a 3-treat day (okay, I let her have Jello after lunch but is that really considered a treat, AND I made her split it with Sidney).  


While the girls napped, I ate my lunch - a turkey and avocado sandwich on whole wheat.  Decently healthy.  I was still hungry so I decided to eat one of my free Schnucks cookies.


Side story: When you bring your kids to Schnucks, our grocery store, they get a free cookie.  I think the employees hope that the kids will eat the cookie and behave themselves while the parents shop.  I don't think these employees have kids.  My kids are not aware of this rule.  They instead think that they get a free banana!  And they love it - you can't imagine their excitement when we stroll by the banana stand.  So while the kids eat their "free" banana I go get 2 free cookies and eat them when I get the kids down to bed.  Genius!


Back to my lunch story.  Just as I took a bite of my gooey butter cookie, Ava walked up.  Busted.  I felt so embarrassed that I offered her a bite.  You see, I had also eaten pancakes this morning.  They didn't have chocolate chips but they did have candied walnuts and banana.  So if I held myself to the same standard as my girls, I should not have been eating that delicious cookie.  


The lesson of this story: I need to shape up how I eat.  I realized that I don't eat very much fruit in the winter.  I'm not big on apples and pears and that seems to be in season throughout most of the winter.  I found this Smoothie idea on Pinterest and had to try it.  It's an easy and yummy way to incorporate fruit into my diet.  The best part there less than 1/2 gram of fat and ~250 calories per smoothie!


Here's what you need:

  • Blender
  • Mini muffin tin or ice cube trays
  • 32 oz tub of Fat-free vanilla yogurt (I used Dannon Light and Fit but I think I will use Dannon's Nonfat Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt next time to up the protein)
  • 1 cup Skim milk
  • Your frozen fruit combo of choice (I picked strawberries, mangoes, peaches and blueberries)

Here's what you do:
  • Measure 1 Tbsp scoops of yogurt into the mini muffin tin (I didn't have any ice cube trays available).  I didn't level it off because some of the yogurt sticks to the tablespoon. Once they are all filled, pop them in the freezer.
  • I bought pre-frozen fruits, but if yours is not frozen you'll want to freeze them.  Tip: If you have fruit that you know you won't finish before it goes bad, freeze it for your smoothies.
  • To freeze your fruit, first clean it and then slice it into bite-sized pieces.  Place the pieces on a silpat mat or on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze.  You'll want the fruit to be frozen through so that they don't freeze together in the packs.
  • An hour or so later when everything is frozen, I laid out the ingredients to prepare my individual serving smoothie bags.
  • If you use muffin tins to freeze your yogurt, let them sit out for a few minutes then use a spoon to pop them out.  Don't dip them in warm water - they will melt very quickly.
  • Add ~1.5 cups of fruit and 3 yogurt scoops to a sandwich baggie.

  • This recipe will make 8 individual serving smoothie packets.

  • Then I package them up in a larger bag so they don't get lost in my freezer.
  • When you're ready for a smoothie, all you have to do is pop it in your blender with a cup of milk (or more if you want to thin out the consistency).  I use the Ninja and I love it!  It's simple and super easy to clean.  I bought it at Sam's for $50 and it came with tons of extras. 

My total cost was ~$11 for the frozen fruit and yogurt.  That brings my cost for each smoothie to $1.37.  Not bad!

Pin It

2 comments:

Treeves said...

Baby, you have not yet made or shared a smoothie with me.

Becky R said...

sounds pretty tasty! You can also use those ingredients (plus ice cream machine or gumption, in lieu of ice cream machine) to make frozen yogurt, sherbert or sorbets! Mmmmm...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...