Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pre-K Addition and Subtraction Games

I have been trying to come up with fun ways to introduce addition and subtraction to my 4 year old, Ava.  After scouring Pinterest, here's my top 3 favorites:

DOMINO MATH
I added an addition and subtraction page to the back of Ava's Pre-K Workbook in sheet protectors.

I thought Domino addition was a good exercise to start with because Ava is able to count up the dots to see how the numbers add up.  This exercise is also helping her learn to write her numbers.  You can print free Number Handwriting Worksheets from the First-School website for more help.

Subtraction is a harder concept to grasp so we haven't tried this one yet.  I think when she gets the hang of addition we will move on to subtraction.

FLASHCARDS
Using a Dollar Tree photo album, I made an Addition and Subtraction work book for Ava.
 Front cover
Back cover

Then I bought a pack of addition and subtraction flash cards from Dollar Tree and slipped them into the photo sleeves.


Now Ava can use her dry erase pen to work the equations and practice writing her numbers over and over again!  It's also a great activity to pack for travel.

MAGNET NUMBER FISHING
I found these magnetic numbers at Walmart for $1.25.  I tied a string onto the end of our wooden spatula and attached a paperclip to the end of the string.  Ava fished out two numbers and tried to add them together.

I've found that incorporating a fun activity into learning math has made Ava much more interested.  And it helps make it more fun for me too!

Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I just bought some little dominoes for son and added magnets on the back so he can use them on his busy tray in the car. I think I'm going to add some cards so he can try his addition as well!

Cathy said...

That's a great idea! Thanks for the tip. We are always looking for things to keep the kids occupied in the car on long trips!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...