Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Newborn Halloween Tutu


Our baby girl is due to arrive right before Halloween.  We are planning to take newborn photos of her so I made this cute little tutu as a prop.  {It may double as a pumpkin Halloween costume too!}  I was surprised at how easy it was to make the tutu.  I will definitely be making my girls tutus as opposed to buying them from now on.  Here's all you need to know if you want to make your own tutu.


Supplies:
Tulle (6" wide x 25 yards long) - I didn't come close to using 25 yards but this was the smallest quantity I could find.
Elastic band (non-rolling preferred)
Needle and thread
Scissors
Measuring tape

Instructions:
1.  Before cutting your elastic band, measure your child's waist using a measuring tape.  I added an inch to the measurement because the two ends of the elastic band will overlap and be sewed together.  Also, the tulle wrapped around the elastic band adds a bit of extra thickness to the waistline.  I cut my elastic band to 14" long for a newborn tutu.

2.  Using a needle and thread, sew the two ends of the elastic together.  This does not have to look nice.  You will be covering it with tulle so it won't even show.

3.  Before cutting your tulle, decide how long you want the tutu to hang on your child, then double the measurement.  For example, I wanted a newborn tutu that was ~5 inches long  so I cut my tulle pieces to ~11 inches.  Again, the measurement does not have to be exact.  Once  the tutu is put together you won't be able to notice the small differences in length.

4.  To attach the tulle to the elastic band, fold a piece of tulle in half and place it under the elastic band as shown above.  I found it much easier to wrap my elastic band around a cylinder to attach the tulle.


5.  Pull the bottom ends of the tulle up through the top loop as shown above.


6.  Pull the bottom ends of the tulle down to secure around the elastic band.  Don't worry about the elastic band showing.  As you add more tulle, the band will cover up nicely.


7.  Continue adding tulle around your elastic band, pushing the tulle pieces together as you go.  


8.  Eventually you will have a full skirt and can trim the ends as needed.

I can't wait to see how cute our little baby looks in her first tutu!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...