Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Letter and Number of the Day

When I was a kid I went to summer school.  I'm not sure how young I was when I started, but I was young enough to LOVE stickers.  Every kid got a sticker book at the beginning of the summer and each time you came you got a new sticker (usually a round scratch and sniff sticker).  To this day, sticker books and round scratch and sniff stickers remind me of summer school - but not in a bad way.  Summer school probably wasn't my favorite part of summer but I didn't mind going.

I do not home school but I do appreciate an activity that incorporates a good learning opportunity.  This summer, I wanted to draw our focus to learning letters and numbers to help prepare Ava (5) for Kindergarten and Sidney (3) for Preschool.  My kids can recite the alphabet and count relatively well.  I made "Today's Letter" and "Today's Number" to us build from that.

I wanted to address the skills that both girls are working on.  For "Letters", Ava is working on recognizing and writing lower case letters, recognizing sight words and spelling three to four letter words.  Sidney is working on recognizing and writing upper case letters.


For "Numbers", Ava is working on counting past 25, simple math, and recognizing and writing numbers past 12.  Sidney is working on recognizing and writing numbers up to 12.


To make this, I used poster board, flash cards, clear plastic sleeves, sticky Velcro and dry erase hand writing boards.  I made the letter and number tracing guides.  You can print them here and draw in the arrow guides yourself.

There are TONS of work sheets and activities that you can find online to assist with learning letters and numbers.  Here are a few of my favorite sites:

I Can Teach My Child - Letters
I Can Teach My Child - Numbers
Confessions of a Homeschooler
A Mom With A Lesson Plan - Letters
A Mom With A Lesson Plan - Math
Tactile Alphabet
Letter of the Week

Here are some other letter and number activities I've posted in the past:








Hope you all had a happy Mother's Day!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...